--Virginia, December 2015:
Today I was flipping through the pictures from our mission in Kurdistan, Northern Iraq last Christmas in the Christian IDP camps and I found this picture. I didn’t even know David Sperow or his wife Marty even took it. I don't go through the photos from there often, so I probably missed it the one time I did.
This child had fled with his family when da"ish was advancing towards his town on a warpath to kill every Christian they came across. After abandoning their house and all they owned, they eventually arrived in Erbil and settled with the hundred thousand others who had also run for their lives with nothing but what was on their backs.
He and his family lived in a filthy parking garage, they slept on the floor on a tarp, lucky to get some rice and vegetables for dinner. It was cold and miserable there.
"ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS A MEAL WITH MEAT"
But they and the other families living in the parking garage were happy that day, because they were able to eat meat for their Christmas dinner.
It certainly puts things into perspective when all a child wants for Christmas is food.
We (DVM HASF) were able to provide those family's with meat, rice, beans, canned fish, medical and dental care, and a little bit of hope because of your donations last year.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED US LAST CHRISTMAS
Thank you all for your act of selfish generosity. I wanted to remind all of you who donate to our missions of what you are able to accomplish. People around the world remember you, and are alive today because of you.
THE REASON I CHOSE THIS PICTURE TO POST TODAY ON CHRISTMAS
I specifically remember seeing this child in the parking garage.
I remember this child because when I looked him in the eyes I saw something I recognized. Something familiar I had seen in a thousand men's eyes, something that broke my heart when I realized what it was.
Seeing that changed my life forever, I am not the man I was when I arrived in Kurdistan.
THIS IS WHAT I WILL CELEBRATE ON CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR WITH MY FAMILY:
- With them I will celebrate you for generously donating to the DVM HASF mission last year
- I will celebrate knowing my family is safe from those who would cut off our heads off because we love Jesus
- I will celebrate Dr David Sperow for guiding me on the path of Humanitarian Aid work
- I will celebrate knowing none of the children at my table have ever seen war
- I will celebrate an unexpected visit and returned relationship with an old friend in the trenches on the battlefield outside of Mosul a few weeks later
- I will celebrate and be thankful for my life and all that I have
- And most of all I will savor every fork-full of meat when I sit down for Christmas dinner with my family
Merry Christmas everyone - God bless America
- James Price
Founder, Executive Director